Unlike humans and animals, plants cannot create their own heat. This is why maintaining a proper plant temperature is so important to the overall process of growing cannabis.

A cannabis plant’ temperature is created by light, air temperature and evaporation. It is impossible to determine the actual temperature of a cannabis plant, however temperature is vital to plant growth.

During cold winter months, keep these tips in mind:

Grow room – always consider the location and size of your grow room, as well as the number of windows. Grow rooms with more windows and/or in a basement will take on colder temperatures.

Photosynthesis – unlike humans and animals, plants can create their own food through photosynthesis. “Photo” means light, and “synthesis” means putting together. Photosynthesis is one of the most important factors in plant growth. During the winter gardening months, the sugar from photosynthesis will not travel through your plants as well, especially in less than 68-degree temperatures. Improper temperatures will stunt your plant’s growth.

Temperature – the best temperature for photosynthesis is within a 68 – 77-degree range. Older cannabis plants can take higher temperatures, up to 84 degrees. When the lights are off, the ideal room temperature should be between 59 – 72 degrees. Equally important is the level of temperature drop. Plants should never experience more than an 18-degree spread, from daytime to nighttime. For example, if a plant has a daytime temperature of 77 degrees, the nighttime temperature should not go lower than 59 degrees and vice versus.

Humidity – during the winter gardening season, if the air is too humid, your plants will collect condensation. Plants typically use only 10 percent of the water they receive and the other 90 percent evaporates. Check for condensation by looking for tiny drops of water anywhere in the room or on your plants.  

Evaporation – low temperatures, during the winter gardening months, also lowers evaporation levels. This means the suction that takes in the nutrients through the roots become constricted and can reduce plant growth.

Respiration – As temperatures drop, plant respirations decrease, which could be good news, however, if a larger crop develops as a result of a temperature drop, plant respirations increase, which means more energy is needed to keep the plants alive. This imbalance can cause plants to suffer.  

Nutrients – quality nutrients, like 13E are always necessary, even during the cooler winter gardening months, but should always be applied correctly and in the right amounts.

For more information on how to yield a successful harvest during cooler temperatures, contact my13e.com.today.